The Linnaean Society of New York (LSNY), with members mostly in the New York City area, is devoted to all aspects of natural history. We are strongly bird oriented, providing birding field trips to various destinations in the greater New York City area, conducting occasional weekend or out-of-state birding tours, co-sponsoring the NYC Rare Bird Alert, and offering a variety of birding resources on our website, including an exclusive birdwatching guide to lesser known Manhattan hotspots. We also take a leadership role in addressing local conservation issues of concern to birders and natural history enthusiasts. In practice we are a New York City bird club with a broader purview on nature and conservation.
The Society presents programs on natural history topics at the American Museum of Natural History monthly from September through May, except March. Our meetings are open and free to the public. The programs feature richly illustrated talks in layman's language, by leading naturalists and scientists.
Our field trips, led by expert members, focus on birds and also on plants, bats, and butterflies. More than fifty trips are offered each year, ranging from bird walks in Central Park, Jamaica Bay, and other New York City parks to excursions by carpool to diverse seasonal hotspots in the tri-state area. Field trips are open to non-members if space permits.
Our organization’s aspirations are reflected in our highest award, the Eisenmann Medal. Established in 1982, it honors “excellence in ornithology and encouragement of the amateur,” accomplishments the Society’s founders would have endorsed.
— New 2017 – 2018 Season Schedule —
- Central Park Orienteering now Friday, July 28, 2017
- Central Park for Bats, Crickets, and Katydids now Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Central Park Horticultural Walk of August 26, 2017 now meeting at 103rd Street CPW
- Prospect Park in April with John Suggs — 4/15/2017
- Staten Island Trip with Howard Fischer — 4/2/2017
- Cattle Egret at W 28 Street by Sherry Felix — 4/21/2017
- Brooklyn Southern Coastal trip with Peter Dorosh — 3/25/2017
- American Woodcock Event in Central Park — March 15 – 17, 2017
- Central Park with Richard ZainEldeen — 3/4/2017
- Montauk Weekend with Joseph DiCostanzo — 2/25/2017 to 2/26/2017
- Central Park with Richard ZainEldeen — 2/11/2017